All the s/w to run mobile phone, but without propriety obstacles in other platforms such as Microsoft, Nokia’s symbian and Apple’s iOS.
Why So Popular:
- By using Google kit, many small and independent manufacturers can push their brands, using design and marketing skills.
- Contract manufacture in China and Taiwan help in low cost manufacturing.
- Independent developers and publishers create games, contents and other s/w applications or “apps” that helps boost demand for android devices.
Android is delivered by global partnership: 39 original equipment manufacturers and 231 telecom carriers in 123 countries so far.
Figures of Andriod growth:
- After Android launch in 2008, it commands 46% market share in platforms, symbian has slipped to 22%, iOS 18%, BlackBerry is at 12% and windows is at 1.6%.
- 135 million number of active Android devices across the world.
- 250,000 number of Android apps in the market.
- 550,000 number of Android devices are activated daily across the world, increasing at the rate of 4.4% rate per week.